|“||All at once, she knew it for sure; the curse was here again. Or maybe it had never left.||”|
— The Heiresses last line
The Saybrook Curse often referred to as The Curse is a concept invented by the media and often played up by The Blessed and the Cursed. The Curse focuses on and refers to the mysterious deaths and incidents that seemed to surround the Saybrook family throughout the years.
When the cousins Poppy, Corrine, Rowan, and Aster were younger, their go-to ghost story at campouts was the story of the curse. It scared many of their friends, due to the story having real merit out of just a campfire story.
According to them, it all began, "when Great-Aunt Louise fell off a balcony at a New Year’s Eve party. She fell twenty stories, holding her martini the whole time. After Louise, a great-uncle was trampled at a polo match. Then a second cousin’s plane was lost at sea. Their now-divorced aunt Grace, the youngest of Edith and Alfred’s children, had a son who was kidnapped from their front yard."
Although they never really believed the curse, until after Steven Barnett's mysterious death. No one truly believed that Steven had just drowned, nor did they believe that members, as well as friends of the Saybrook's dying, were a coincidence. The cousins started to believe in the curse, and that something could be out there trying to harm them. However, it took the death of their eldest cousin, Poppy, for them to look into the curse more.
Victims of the Curse
|Louise Saybrook||Died: Fell twenty-stories off a balcony|
|Unnamed Great Uncle||Died: Trampled at a polo match|
|Unnamed Second Cousin||Died: Lost at sea|
|Grace Saybrook's son||Kidnapped|
|Alfred Saybrook||Died: old age presumably|
|Steven Barnett||Died: Murdered by Julia Gilchrist|
Covered-up as drowning (Exposed)
|Penelope Keating||Attacked at a ski resort|
|Died: Plane crash|
|Poppy Saybrook||Murdered by Julia Gilchrist|
|Unknown Saybrook Heiress||Drowning: possibly|
Notes and Trivia
- While the idea of the curse was originally circulated by the media, Edith Saybrook strongly believes in the curse.
- Julia Gilchrist helped to enforce the idea of there being a "curse", by causing some of the accidents and deaths that were deemed victims of the curse.
- She is the one who possibly made the plane crash in an attempt to kill Mason, although, she ended up killing Adele Bailey, Lawerence Saybrook, and a pilot instead.
- She murdered both Steven Barnett and Poppy Saybrook, framing the latter to seem like a self-inflicted death.
- She attempted to kill Penelope Keating at a ski lodge, an incident that caused damage to Penelope's leg.
- Julia attempted to kill the remaining Heiresses numerous times.